Steeped in history and situated in 8 acres of pleasant grounds stands Field Place, its elegant Georgian façade being attributed to its mid-18th century owners. The interior of the house contains fine carved fireplaces and original Jacobean oak panelling. The Oak room houses the original device of the Cooke family who owned and lived in the house for over three centuries.
The next family to own the estate were the Westbrooke-Richardsons, followed by the Henty family in the mid 18th Century, who were very successful in business and farming.
During the agricultural depression, the Henty’s revenue declined and Thomas Henty began to write from Field Place to his business contacts in Australia to enquire about land and prospect for his family.
Eventually after much planning, he set sail from Littlehampton in the 'Caroline' and ' Fourth of Alloway' with his wife Frances Elizabeth, their children, a flock of Merino sheep newly acquired from the flocks of King George III, and dressed in flannel coats against the wind, agricultural equipment and staff accounting for half the village of Tarring.
On arrival in Australia the family found life very hard, but eventually prospered in banking, farming, politics and business. The youngest son of the family, Francis, built a house in 1876 called Field Place in Melbourne, Australia. The house still stands today.
Towards the end of the 19th century Colonel E. W. Margerson, who also owned Findon, occupied the house.
In 1909, Alfred Bates purchased the house and spent £250,000 on renovations, including the installation of an underground electrical supply.
After the death of Alfred Bates, the house was remodelled and became the Manor Country Club.
Like many country houses, Field Place was utilised by our forces during World War ll. The RAF used the Estate and surrounding areas to test early radar.
After being de-commissioned, the Estate was once again used as a Country Club before being purchased by Worthing Borough Council in 1956.
Improvements were made to the outer buildings and main house, revealing much of the original splendid panelling and stonework.
Reopened in 1988/89, Field Place is now a popular venue for seminars, corporate and private hires, including wedding receptions.
The Chichester and Lewes rooms within the Manor House are licensed for both Civil Marriages and Partnerships.
Today, it is the ideal venue for meetings, wedding receptions, theatre productions, as well as offering a wide range of sports facilities.